ISSS organizes cross-cultural discussion groups which often consist of both international and U.S. students. Members of these groups meet once a week to share cross-cultural experiences, personal thoughts, and feelings in a relaxed atmosphere. Examples of the topics discussed in the past are culture shock, cultural customs, friendship/relationships, communication styles, family, and future aspirations. For more than 30 years ISSS has facilitated cross-cultural discussion groups with participants from dozens of countries throughout the world.
Why Join a Cross-cultural Discussion Group?
- Make friends from all over the world
- Expand your cross-cultural understanding
- Give and receive support for difficulties you may be having
- Help each other to make your study abroad experience successful
- Develop self-awareness of your own cultural background
What past Participants Have Said About Cross-cultural Discussion Groups
- “Very exciting, fun, and joyful!”
- “I got a chance to know about people and cultures from different countries.”
- “I learned about leadership and communication skills.”
- “We supported each other with honesty and genuineness.”
- “Quite relaxing, comfortable, and warm atmosphere we created in the group. It feels like home!”
- On a scale from 1-7, most members rated the group experience as either 7 (very satisfied) or 6 (satisfied)!
Spring 2014 Semester:
Cross-cultural Discussion Groups
International and U.S. students are invited to join our new cross-cultural discussion groups for the Spring 2014 semester. Several discussion groups will be formed—each with a consistent meeting time. The groups will begin mid February and continue through early May 2014.
Each group will have two leaders with group facilitation experience. To join a discussion group, you must:
(1) submit an online application, by Wednesday, February 12, 2014.
(2) complete an individual interview with an ISSS staff person.
After ISSS receives your application, you will be contacted to arrange an interview.
Spring 14 applications are now closed as we have received a record number of applicants!
Click the pictures to enlarge it
Group photo after the last session.
Group Enjoying ice skating.
Group coloring Easter eggs
Group eating lunch in local resturant