Going Home Checklist
- Inform your family and friends back home of your arrival date.
- Check the airline’s luggage weight/size regulations and cost for overweight/extra bags.>
These specifications can vary by airline and country of destination.
- Arrange transportation to the airport.
Make sure to arrive at the airport at least 2 hours before departure.
- Keep all old & new immigration documents together in a safe place.
- Check to make sure your passport is still valid.
If expired, contact your home country consulate immediately.
Housing & Family
- Confirm the move out date from your housing (dormitory or renting lease).
- Inform your landlord of your move out date and set an inspection date.
Make sure to speak to your landlord about the procedure to get your rent deposit returned.
You might need to leave your home mailing address with your landlord.
- Pay any outstanding utility bills (electric, cable, internet, cell phone, water, garbage, etc).
- Arrange for your utilities to be disconnected by your move out date.
- Cancel any newspaper or magazine subscriptions.
- Donate or sell your unneeded furniture, personal items (i.e. clothes) or automobile.
If you sell your automobile, make sure to transfer the title to the new owner and
remember to cancel your automobile insurance.
You can donate clothes to many local charities (Salvation Army,
You can sell items in a garage sale or online (Craigslist.)
- Send any belongings home.
NOTE: the U.S. Post Office no longer offers surface mail shipping service,
(only airmail available).
Need packing boxes? Check out your local grocery or liquor store for FREE boxes!
- If you have children attending a local school or daycare, confirm your child’s
last day of attendance and request a copy of their school records.
- Pay any outstanding medical bills.
- Close your bank & credit card accounts, and transfer money to a home bank account.
- Leave your home mailing address with your current employer.
Your employer may need to send you your W2 Statement for tax purposes.
- Check current tax information on ISSS website.
This includes those who have been in the U.S. for a brief time or have not been employed.
- If you have a MN state drivers license, inform DVS of your change of address within 60 days of departure from MN.
Personal & Professional Development
- Exchange contact information with your friends, classmates, advisor, and supervisor.
- Ask for reference letters from your professors, advisor, and supervisor.
- Join professional organizations (national/international) in your field of study/interest.