Student Eligibility and Stipends
Eligibility: To be eligible to participate in Culture Corps, students must be enrolled at the University on an F-1 or J-1 visa. Culture Corps is funded through student fees paid by all international students on F-1 and J-1 visas; therefore, students on other visa types are not eligible.
Stipends: Students who participate in Culture Corps receive a stipend in varying amounts, depending on the level of involvement and commitment needed for the project.
The following are examples of past projects stipend amounts. Students should meet with the Culture Corps coordinator to discuss the actual stipend amount.
- One-time presentation (1 hour) of original material created by the student, $150- $200
- Multiple presentations (1 hour each) of original material created by the student, $150 per event
- Organizing a series of speakers (does not include generating the content of the presentation), $100 per event
- Planning a movie series $100 per event
- Developing an ongoing issue forum (6 to 8 lectures), find speakers, writing grants to support the series, and coordinating event set-up/catering, $250 per event
"I became a self-starter after I participated in a Culture Corps project"
" I learned to take leadership of my creative idea and follow it up to the end "
"When I came here, I realized you had to go out and ask for things. Leading a project gave me these attributes. I became much more of an extrovert in the U.S. When I started leading projects and doing things, I had to question people´s opinions and this definitely helped me adjust to American culture, not just university life."
From past Culture Corps participants
project, although far from completion, is making gigantic strides
in the right direction thanks to the insights Ms. Reinertsen
provides and the discussions we have about the actual, contemporary
usages in Norwegian. These kinds of issues will prove to be
beneficial to all Norwegian language students at the University
of Minnesota and beyond."
Dr. Louis Janus
Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA)