International Buddy Program
Current UMN students volunteer to assist new international students in their transition to the University of Minnesota.
Why Become a Buddy Mentor?
- Be a cultural ambassador to new international students
- Gain insight on different cultural values and world views
- Join a globally minded community
- Attend events with new international students and other current students
- Build your resume
- Have FUN!!
- Emailing buddy or buddies once a week before their arrival
- Contact assigned buddy via email, get to know buddy and provide information about life as a University of Minnesota student
- Support buddy in first week at the University of Minnesota
- Meet the first four weeks of the semester
- Participate in large group events
- Respond to bi-weekly emails from the International Buddy Program
- One hour a week for pre-arrival online communications
- Six hours during the week of your buddy´s or buddies´ arrival
- Two hours a week for the first four weeks of the semester for group events or individual meetings
- Must meet with buddy every two weeks and continue communication throughout the semester
- Must be a current undergraduate student.
- Submit a mentor application given below.
- Complete the required mentor trainings.
- Provide sensitivity needed to assist new undergraduate international students.
- Communicate effectively in both group and individual situations.
- Demonstrate a sincere interest in helping people.
- Be respectful to religious, political, sexual orientation and cultural differences.
- Not promote any political or religious organization(s) to their buddy.
- Have a grade point average of 3.0 or better.
Questions: Please contact us through the International Buddy Program email at email@example.com or visit our IBP Official Face book Group.