Checklist for International Undergraduate Students
The following checklist contains the steps you need to take as a new undergraduate international student upon first applying to the University of Minnesota.
This is a special checklist has been developed for new undergraduates.
- Freshman – You are considered a freshman if you are still a high school student or if you have not enrolled in any college courses after graduating from high school.
- Transfer – You are considered a transfer student if you have previously enrolled in any course for college credit after graduating from high school. If you are a high school student and are enrolled in PSEO, College in the Schools, or have earned AP credit, you are still considered a freshman.
- Visa transfer – You are considered a visa transfer student if you are currently in the U.S. on a visa and who will continue to be on that same visa type at UMN. Visa transfer students can be either freshmen students or transfer students.
After You Apply:
- Activate internet ID and email account
- Access Application Tracker to ensure complete application
- Apply for University Housing and review the eligibility criteria for the Incoming First-Year Freshmen ‘Housing Guarantee’
- Receive admission decision
- Read the International Student Ambassador blog to learn about life at the U of M
- Confirm your Enrollment, submit Financial Certification Statement and passport copy to the office of admissions
- Access MyU Web Portal
- Receive Welcome Packet, pre-Arrival Guide and immigration document.
- Watch for mailing from your college of enrollment
- Sponsored Students: Contact the sponsored student coordinator
- Apply for visa and/or begin visa transfer process
- Submit your immunization record to Office of Student Health Benefits by completing an online form
- Prepare for your New Student Orientation
- Read about the mandatory Document Check and make a Document Check Reservation (if arrival date will be on/after August 4th)
**Be sure to schedule a Document Check Reservation BEFORE your New/Transfer Student Orientation.
- Submit Housing Guarantee payment if you were guaranteed University Housing
- Enroll in the required Student Health Benefit Plan offered through the Office of Student Health Benefits
Plan For Your Arrival:
- Check your University Housing assignment if you received guaranteed University Housing.
- Research off-campus housing options if you did not receive guaranteed University Housing
- Choose arrival date
- plan for expenses
- Send your final transcript to the Office of Admissions
- Plan transportation from airport to temporary housing
After You Arrive At The University Of Minnesota:
- Attend Document Check at International Student Scholar Services (ISSS)
- Sponsored Students: You have a separate Document Check with the sponsored student coordinator. Schedule an appointment with the sponsored student coordinator
- Remove registration holds
- Attend International Student Orientation Program (ISOP) (transfer students only)
- Take English assessment test (if applicable)
- Check into permanent housing
- Register for classes at New Student Orientation
After Registering For Classes:
- Obtain University of Minnesota Identification Card “U Card”
- Attend Welcome Week (freshmen only, fall semester)
- Update “Mailing Address” on One Stop
- Subscribe to ISSS Weekly Update
- Pay tuition and fees by due date
See First-Year Student – August Schedule at a Glance.
See Transfer Student – August Schedule at a Glance.