New Scholar ISSS Check–In
All new scholars on a J-1 visa and their eligible J-2 Dependents are required to Check–In with ISSS after their arrival in the U.S.
What is ISSS Check–In?
International Scholar ISSS Check–In is a procedure that verifies a scholar’s (and any eligible dependent’s) immigration status to ensure that the scholar is eligible to start a J program at the University of Minnesota.
may I check–in with ISSS
You may check–in with ISSS Monday through Friday, 8am -12pm and 1- 4pm, excluding University Holidays. Report to International Student and Scholar Services office located at 190 Humphrey (on the West Bank). You do not need to make a reservation.
FOR SCHOLARS WORKING AT UMN COORDINATE CAMPUSES:
If your J program will take place at a coordinate campus (Crookston, Duluth, Morris or Rochester), please fax all your visa documents (DS-2019, I-94 card, Passport’s Biographical/Expiration and Visa pages) to our office at 612-626-7361. In the Subject Heading of your fax, write: “Purpose: International Scholar ISSS Check–In”. Please, verify we have received your fax by contacting ISSS.
What happens during ISSS Check–In?
During International Scholar check–in, you will submit your immigration documents to an ISSS Staff member. The ISSS Staff member will photocopy and review your documents and provide information and material for new International Scholars to you. Also, you will have the option to sign up for the International Scholar Orientation. ISSS Check–In lasts between 10-20 minutes.
What do I need to bring for ISSS Check–In?
Bring the following documents with you:
- Passport and visa stamp (in your passport)
- I-94 card (white card in your passport that you receive at the U.S. border)
- Dependent documents (DS-2019, passport, visa stamp, and I-94 card) if you have dependents with you
- Previous school’s DS-2019 (if you attended another J program in the U.S. and are transferring sponsorship to the University of Minnesota)
- University of Minnesota ID number (your hosting department should be able to give this to you)
Our office will be closed duringUniversity Holidays.