University of Minnesota
Main navigation |
Optional Practical Training (OPT)
Optional Practical Training (OPT) is permission for off-campus employment granted by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS). OPT enables students to gain work experience in their field of study.
To apply for OPT, you must:
- Complete an OPT workshop.
Attend one of the OPT workshops
Watch the OPT Online Workshop to learn about the application process.
- Logging in to Moodle is required for the Online Workshop
- Enrollment key: isssopt
- Download the OPT Application Packet or obtain the packet at ISSS.
- Complete the “F-1 Optional Practical Training Student Request and Academic Adviser Verification” form from the packet.
Your academic adviser must sign at the bottom the form.
- Complete Form I-765*
- Bring completed application materials to ISSS during walk-in hours or a scheduled appointment to meet with an F-1 adviser for processing.
* ISSS does not recommend electronically filing the I-765.
Requirements while on OPT
Cap Gap Extension