Instructions for Selecting Department of State Codes
To UMN Departments inviting J-1 Scholars, Professors, and Short-term
Use this web site to look up codes (Home Country Position Codes
and Subject Codes) that are required in the application to invite
a new J-1 scholars, professors, and short-term scholars (Department
Request for a DS-2019 for a Newly Arriving Scholar).
Instructions for Home Country Position Codes
- Click on the link for Home Country Position Codes (in left column)
- Click on the link for the appropriate Home Country Position
- The position codes for that category will be displayed
- Choose the appropriate Home Country Position
- Write both the word description and the number code on the J-1
Word Description: Head of Government
Number Code: 111
- Choose the position code that best describes the position
that the Exchange Visitor currently holds in his or her home
- If the Exchange Visitor is a student, look at the 200 Category
- If the Exchange Visitor does not currently have a position
and is not a student in his or her home country, choose the
most recent position held.
- If the Exchange Visitor has not yet held a position and
is not currently a student, indicate the position for which
the Exchange Visitor has trained.
Instructions for Subject Codes
- Click on the link for Subject Codes (in left column.)
- The general categories of subject codes will be displayed.
- Choose the appropriate category and click on that link. Make
note of the category once you have chosen it. It must be to included
on the application.
- The subject codes for that category will be displayed.
- Choose the appropriate Subject Code.
- On the application indicate the general category, the word description
of the subject code, and the number code of the subject code.
Category: Agriculture, Agriculture Operations, and Related
Word Description: Agribusiness/Agricultural Business Operations
Number Code: 01.0102
Friday, 27-May-2005 10:06:49 CDT